Wednesday, June 22, 2005
"children learn what they live"

I was reading an article in the Japan Times about a book called "Children Learn What They Live", whose sales skyrocketed this year because the Crown Prince recommended the book, as well as reading the poem that inspired it by the same author.

The 1954 poem can be read here, by Dorothy Law Nolte.

It seems like common sense to me that the way kids are treated by their parents has a great effect on what kind of person they become, but maybe in this day and age, it's necessary to have a book that teaches just that. I guess common sense ain't so common anymore.


.:.


more Rie fu



Another Rie fu song. A soothing voice and a piano... and good English pronounciation! Haha. She's my new favorite J-Pop singer. You can take a little listen yourself right here (right click + save as).

"Life is Like a Boat"

Nobody knows who I really am
I never felt this empty before
And if I ever need someone to come along,
Who's gonna comfort me, and keep me strong?

We are all rowing the boat of fate
The waves keep on coming and we can't escape
But if we ever get lost on our way
The waves would guide you through another day

doku de iki o shiteru
tomei ni natta mitai
kudayami ni omoe dakedo
mekaku shisarete tadake

(Taking deep breathes
as if I were transparent
I thought I was in the dark, but
I was only blindfolded)

inori o sasagete
atarashii hi o matsu
asayaka ni hikaru umi
sono hate made

(Offer a prayer
a new day is waiting
Until the ends
of a vividly shining sea)

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License