Saturday, February 15, 2003
Thanks for dinner, darling... =)

Hope everybody had a fun and safe Valentine's Day. Sure, the holiday is shamelessly commercial, but as long as you use it celebrate your love for somebody, I think it's all gravy (versus, thoughtlessly dropping wads of cash like it was X-Mas Part 2).

Yesterday, I was probably in the incredible tiny minority of men who were lucky enough to be taken care of by their significant others. Siobhan insisted on making dinner and planning the evening for me, so who am I to stop her? heh heh. =) Dinner was at her house, where we had a nice candlelight dinner... Shiv cooked some salmon, green beans, and of course... rice. She also made some nice sangria (yeah, I know you're supposed to drink white wine with seafood, but I'm a red wine fan) to go with the meal. Dessert was a super-rich chocolate tort. It was nice to have salmon... I enjoy it a lot, but don't get to eat that often (poverty sucks). We took our time eating and just talked.

Call me ordinary, but I love the simple things sometimes...

Afterwards, we went grocery shopping to buy some food for a Sunday night dinner we're cooking together for some friends. She found it funny we were all dressed up to just wander around Albertson's... haha. Finished that, came back to her place, and of course, exchanged small presents. I handmade for her a bouqet of 50 origami flowers, of various types and colors... tulips, irises, lotuses, roses, etc. Each flower with a special note attached to the stem (50 different things I love/admire about her, 1 for each flower). Yeah, I'm poor, but I got a lot of time... guess my gift reflects that. Shiv gave me a huge framed 1000 piece puzzle of this Caroline Young picture, Immortal Melody... she had put the puzzle together herself with some help from her roommates. The picture is of a beautiful girl and a tiger... perhaps some symbolism of "Beauty and the Beast", hahaha? I thought it was great present, a reminder of this day.

Then, knowing the movie junkie that I am, she and I watched Insomnia... great flick, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams. My first time seeing it, but Al Pacino is definitely on my list of "10 Greatest Actors of All Time".

All in all, a great Valentine's Day. Haven't had a great many of those in my lifetime, so I guess this makes these past two years all the more special, eh? I really sympathize with single people... man, society looks down on single people, which is a shame I think.

Granted, there's a reason some people are single... it's because they're not ready for a relationship. For others though, I think it's just more a matter of the "right person" - either people have established such unrealistic superficial standards for a mate ("Yeah, he's gotta be 6'5, a Wharton graduate, speak 3 languages, drive a BMW, and love kittens!") or they settle for being in a relationship with somebody whom they totally should not be seeing, yet persist in being in out of fear of "being alone" ("Yeah, Shaniqua annoys the hell out of me... bosses me around and stuff.... but daaaaaamn, her body's BANGIN'!!!").

Yeah, being single is tough. I'd write more, but I'm hungry... time to scrounge up food. Keep your heads up, single people... if you're really a "quality person", then your day is coming.

Guaranteed.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License