Monday, June 20, 2005
hip.hop = gang member?

A good article was in the Seattle Times about some Asian American highschool kids fighting the stereotype that liking hip.hop equals being in gang. Check it out right here.

I remember my mother used to always say, "YOU LOOK LIKE A GANGSTER! YOU'RE GOING TO GET SHOT!" when I'd wear baggy pants or a large t-shirt. When I shaved my head, I think that irritated my Mom even more. But since graduating college with two degrees, the criticism has finally ceased. Thank God.

Besides, if I were in a gang, I'd be a whole lot richer than I am now...

  |


Comments:
this guy at church calls me "boss", except in a fobby accent.
 
heh- like a Korean gangster-boss, "hyung nin"? =)

i admit it, i secretly liked it when my kids at my church called me "dai goh" (Cantonese "big brother", also used by triads) or when my kids in Japan called me "aniki" or "ani-chan" (both Japanese for "big brother", the 2nd being more casual).
 
Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License