Tuesday, June 15, 2004
i-meru bairasu

Stupid e-mail viruses. Don't people have the sense not to open strange e-mails?

My usual Tuesday night internet cafe visit got derailed because the all the cafe's computers have been infected. I'm currently checking internet at another cafe, but this cafe doesn't allow use of my handy USB toy... probably because of similar virus fears. There's a serious lack of virus protection programs at the internet cafes here in Japan... at least the cheap joints I usually frequent.

'Nuff geek speak...


.:.


No USB drive = no pictures to post, which sucks because this weekend had some great weather. Yesterday, I went out west of Kobe to the city of Tarumi with some friends to an outlet mall area called "Porto Bazaar". Wide spaces, discount merchandise... American capitalism at its finest. Didn't buy a thing, though.

I'm surprised I exercised such restraint.

The real fun was after the outlet shopping... I made a short stop by Suma beach and took some pictures of the ocean. I'm a horrible swimmer, but there's something spiritual in being able to just watch the ocean on an uncrowded beach. Stuck in Japan's concrete jungles most of the time, having a bit of nature is a nice way to give myself some perspective about things.


.:.


Speaking of restraint, travel is looking to be near impossible as summer airplane ticket prices start to spike. Since one of my goals during this whole Japan adventure is to save some money, I'm going to have to wait to avoid having my bank account raped. To just travel to Hokkaido (northern most Japan) is over $700 during the summer! Prices to travel to Okinawa are equally ridiculous. takai sugiru na...

Guess the next opportunity to travel might not be until September.

I've been doing more research and I've found that actually, it might be possible for me to get away to Shanghai, Seoul, or Bali for a reasonable amount... we'll see.

I guess if I don't buy an airplane ticket, this is a sexy alternative. It just came out here in Japan and I've been playing with it at the store.

Yes, I'm oh-so-susceptible to certain kinds of evil consumerism. Especially the kinds that involve toys and electronics.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License