Thursday, September 18, 2003
It was an interesting day today.

I went into the eye clinic in Chinatown to get my eyes checked out and order some more contacts. Since my mom is working there at the moment, the eye doctors there are giving a small hook-up. Nice.

It was pretty normal appointment for the most part, until the optometrist found something... I had to take this "field of vision" test several times in a row and it turns out that in my left eye, there's a very small blind spot, sort of to the center and down, toward my nose. The doctor said it's probably never been noticed before by me because my right eye is so strong and compensates for it (I've always known my right eye has been dominant... when I go shooting, I close my left eye and line up the sights with my right).

The doctor said he's sure it's something minor, but he wants me to come in again on Monday so the other doctors at the office can take a look too. There's a remote chance that loss of that field of vision is a symptom of glaucoma. Hrmm, that would suck.

So while I was in the Chinatown, I also took a trip to Uwajimaya's, with the main purpose being to buy a spam musubi maker to take with me to Japan. I also happened to see some interesting books, and being the bookworm I am, I grabbed 'em... one of them is on the company recommended reading list and is about Japanese culture from a psychological perspective (Anatomy of Dependence, by Takeo Doi) and the other is about Japanese organized crime (Confessions of Yakuza, Junichi Saga).

As I was purchasing the books, I struck up a funny conversation with the cashier, this elderly Japanese lady who approved of my book choices. I told her I was going to be going to Japan for the year, and she remarked how the Takeo Doi book made sense, but why a buy a book on the yakuza? I told her it was just for fun and as a sidenote, I told her that maybe learning about the yakuza could help me understand the Japanese social stigma attached to tattoos, since I had one. Her eyes widened a little and she asked what sort of tattoo I had, and I told her it was the kanji/Chinese character for faith or devotion, "xin" or shinko in Japanese. She smiled and commented in her lJapanese-accented English...

"At least you know what it mean... all these hakujin (white ppl) these days walking around with kanji as tattoo and they don't know what it says."

We both laughed... old people are so funny.

Went to work, and it was long. Not fun, but Mel is learning fast... he'll be next employee of the month, heh.

Bible study was at night and it was great. Very chill... ate pizza, talked, shared about recent happenings, and prayed for all the drama going on at the church.

Wow, tomorrow's here. Sleep time.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License