Tuesday, July 15, 2003
I come from a long line of chiefs...



So I've been meaning to write about this movie Shiv and I saw this past Sunday at The Neptune, called Whale Rider. Yeah, I know it sounds like a bizarre name for a movie, but let me say this:

BEST MOVIE I'VE SEEN ALL YEAR

If that doesn't convince you to watch this movie at least once, I don't know what will. Anybody who knows me, knows I love movies... but in a year filled movies Matrix: Reloaded, X2, and The Italian Job, this little film trumps them all.

I would describe the film as simply a story about a little girl and her family, but it seems like such a hollow description of everything this movie encompasses. The themes of this movie run across everything, from man's relationship to nature, traditions of native peoples like the girl's tribe in movie, to gender roles, to even the preservation of aboriginal cultures in a modern world.

Perhaps my favorite interpretation of the movie's theme: it's a messianic allegory that parallels parts of Jesus' own life and ministry. But I digress... though my brain has dissected the deeper parts of the movie a lot since I've seen it, I believe anybody can enjoy the movie, from a 7 year old kid to a 70 year old geezer. Definitely a mark of greatness in a movie, the ability to appeal to people on many levels.

Now go see it!

If you don't believe me, check out someone else's review. I think some people have interpreted the film as overly feminist-biased, but I think that glosses over the family and cultural relationships in the movie. Keisha Castle-Hughes perfomance of Pai is so innocent and sincere, that you can't help but be drawn in. Her grandfather, Koro (played by Rawiri Paratene) may seem like a villian to some, but if you're like me, a guy who grew up with hardcore Chinese uncles/OGs, he's a noble if flawed man.

Oh, and thanks to Sam for the tip... good pic, brah. New Zealand definitely is now on the lists of places to visit before I expire.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License