Thursday, August 22, 2002
Packing moving packing...

This whole moving back to home thing is definitely turning out to be quite a chore. I suppose things could be faster, but I prefer to work at the pace I'm working at right now... frequent breaks for food, drink, and War-crack... heh heh. Mel and Ray recently bought copies too, so once again... the disease is spreading.

Anyways... the whole moving home thing. I don't like it for a lot of reasons, but this whole week of packing and bringing stuff back home... all the time driving in the car by myself has given me the opportunity to at least deal with it on a mental level. I love my mother as much as anybody, probably more, but if you were to talk to me a year ago, moving home was probably the last option on my list of future plans. In American culture, there seems to be a certain stigma attached with living with your parents... maybe the popularity of Hitchcock's Psycho has something to do with that. For myself though, reputation isn't what really concerns me about moving home with my Mom. My concerns are more along the lines of things like my freedom as an adult and an individual... and while I can understand why in my mother's eyes "I'll always be her young son", it doesn't make the treatment that comes along with that perspective any less annoying. Not to mention the fact that Renton is a bit further away from most of the friends that I've made while going to college and living in Seattle. Though solitude doesn't bother me much, long drives do.

In this case though, I'm trying not be my usual cynical self. I'm trying to keep the positives in mind... free rent, free food, homecooking, my dog... stuff like that. Ironically, the thing I worry about the most, my relationship with my Mom, will be a positive too. Being home will allow me to spend time with her... I think I too easily forget that she's alone a lot, just her and the dog. I think about my father and how he's gone, and how it must be hard for her when nearly all her friends are married and with their spouses. Not too many single parents in the Asian American community, especially the Christian Chinese part. My Mom's a tough cookie, though... I'm not sure how I'd be able to deal with that. If I became a widower at a young age, I think it would definitely hurt a lot...

Back to packing.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License