Friday, June 14, 2002
Good movies...

I finally got to see the movie "Black Hawk Down" yesterday after the prayer meeting for the JEMS missionaries (Mel/Kristie/Dan) and helping Evan move his stuff from his dorm to Maplewood. The movie definitely lived up to the hype and while it was a "war movie" with some fantastic action sequences, what really got my attention in the movie was the character aspect/drama. The movie did a good job of showing the humanity behind the conflict in Somalia and how in complex situations, it's not quite as easy to label the sides "good" and "bad". Seeing "Black Hawk Down" reminded me of a lot of the things I admire about some people in the military, their courage, their willingness to do their duty, and their self-sacrifice for each other ("Leave no man behind"). These are qualities that I think are often sorely lacking in the "civilian" world, which of course makes the military all the more attractive to me. Of course, there's nothing to romanticize about the grim reality of war, killing human beings, and watching people die. Much to its credit, "Black Hawk Down" didn't pull any punches in its portrayal of the American soldiers as regular human beings, not invincible superheroes. When people get shot, they do die. In reflecting about the possibility of dying yesterday, I often reflect about what the Apostle Paul wrote about being torn - on one hand longing to for the privilege of being Heaven with God, and on other hand, having that will to live simply to because being alive in this world means that one can still comfort and help those in it.

Today, I also caught "Undercover Brother" with my old friend Josh after lunch at my favorite Fairwood-hood teriyaki joint, Miako's. In the words of Undercover Brother himself, this movie is SOLID. I couldn't stop laughing... pretty hilarious. I don't think I've laughed at a movie so much since I saw "Dumb and Dumber" in the theatre... heh.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License