Saturday, June 01, 2002
FISH barbeque... yum.

It's late (or early, depending) and I find myself contemplating Friday night. I went with Shiv to her church fellowship group meeting, FISH, and enjoyed myself - not just eating the barbeque (fried chicken, salmon, polish sausage, oh my), but Yun (of CoHi 'Gilligan' fame) gave a great message on the meaning behind one of God's names, "Jehovah Shalom" (God of Peace). The name appears only in the Old Testament, in the book of Judges where the judge Gideon constructs an altar after encountering an angel of God. Yun had a lot of great points, but what stuck with me the most was this: that true peace (AKA shalom) occurs when we are living and acting in accordance with God's plan. Thus, peace is something that can exist in ourselves regardless of external circumstances, as long as we keep to that one single principle: that we abide and live in a manner that is consistent with how God wants us to. However, Yun also astutely pointed out the obstacle most often blocking this is our own selfishness. I made a note in my notes there herein lies a great irony: that although it is in our best self-interest to obey and follow God, we act selfishly and do not... meaning that while we think we are acting in our best interest, we are in reality acting against our interests.

I can relate to a lot of this because I see it so prevalent in the lives of some people around me... people continually looking out for themselves, only concerning themselves with their own appetites and wants. They whine, fuss, and complain when their cups are empty and their plates are bare, even after they've already eaten more then their fair portion. Ministry and good deeds for them is less about godliness and more about what they can get from it. For them, the future is always the next trophy girlfriend/boyfriend, the next job... it's an attitude that I see beyond just those in the good 'ol business school, it's everywhere. I don't think they even see it themselves, which I suppose is pretty sad. I feel sorry for them, I wish I could open their eyes to the gaping flaw that is in their character, but... oh well. I guess I don't have much to really say to them at all and they'll have to learn the hard way that life doesn't revolve around them.

Of course, on the opposite end, I'm am continually amazed by the selflessness of some other people. People who out of love for God and others, seem to somehow still give even when the well is dry. It's a magnificient thing to see, and in their humility, I never see them complain... even when their talents are continually called upon, time and time again, to the point of painful repetition. I aspire to the level of servanthood that they have attained, because it is righteous path they walk.

Wish more of the latter kind of people than the former were around, but the world isn't quite like that...

All the more reason that we all need Jehovah Shalom... to cultivate more givers than takers.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License