Tuesday, August 30, 2005
day 2 of teacher-ification

Well, the second day of class has come and gone, and already I'm despising the commute 1.5 hour commute. This morning wasn't so bad, I carpooled with my mother and left at exactly 7:30AM, getting to Seattle U in about 50 minutes, but then again, both public school and the UW are still on vacation. Traffic will get worst come end of September. After school, I drove myself home while my mother went to dinner with her friends.

Besides the obvious emasculating effects of been driven to school by one's mother, a gimped right ankle, and zero income, there's just something physically draining about staring at rows of brake lights and bumper-to-bumper gridlock on the road. When I used to commute via train while working in Japan, at least I always had the sense that things were moving and I could relax with a book / newspaper / my iPod, but I just don't feel the same sense of calm going to school.

I suppose there's other issues there.

...

Graduate school continues to be interesting, with a constant flow of information being channeled to me and the 49 other students during class. We meet in a large room where tables are arranged for small groups of 5 people each and there's never really any dead time at all in the 6 hour schedule - we're constantly listening to lectures, watching videos, having small group discussions, or doing some sort of interactive activity.

It's funny, but it almost reminds me of a full day of church - Sunday sermon, Sunday school, fellowship, communal meal time - of course, the obvious difference being there's no worship and that the "gospel" isn't Christ, it's the exploration of ideas about learning, education, school, and being a teacher. I guess I'm experiencing firsthand the rigors of a "Jesuit education".

On another note, maybe I'm just old, or maybe I just getting fatter, but my butt falls asleep a lot during class. The cheeks become numb.


.:.

i <3 hip-hop

This week on program "Fresh Air" on NPR, I've been excited to listen to interviews as this week, they're celebrating the history of hip-hop with interviews of various pioneers of music... today, they interviewed personalities like Russell Simmons, Darryl McDaniels of Run-D.M.C., and Chuck-D of Public Enemy. Awesome.

I'm also quite excited that at this year's Bumbershoot music festival, two of my favorite hip-hop artists, Common and Talib Kweli, will be playing the main stage on Sunday. Most artists still consider Seattle a "rock" town, so it's always a treat when big name hip-hop artists come through.

Stone, Shiv, and I think a few other people are going... anybody who loves hip-hop should DEFINITELY come check 'em out.

  |


Comments: Post a Comment

in?scrip?tion (n-skrip-shun)n.
1. The act or an instance of inscribing.
2. Something, such as the wording on a coin, medal, monument, or seal, that is inscribed.
3. A short, signed message in a book or on a photograph given as a gift.
4. The usually informal dedication of an artistic work.
5. Jeremiah 31:33

the facts.
name. Gar AKA "that Chinese guy" "Sleepy.McSleeping"
ethnicity/nationality. Chinese/American, 4th gen.
location. Sea-Town, WA, USA Kawanishi, JAPAN
occupation. less-cynical poor grad student
age. younger than you think, older than you know

 



 

[contact]
UnseenGC @ AIM
(myname) @ gmail.com

 

 

[ARCHIVES]
main listing

[memories]
i - ii - iii - iv - v

  This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Creative Commons License